Monday, February 15, 2021

Cinnamon Spiced Brussels Sprouts

Honey-Sriracha Brussels sprouts is still my 'go-to' preparation (with our without the bacon). But I've been trying new things lately. Cinnamon Spiced Brussels sprouts is a BH&G idea.

I like the idea of avoiding sweeteners and using cinnamon--which often fools us into interpreting a dish as sweet since cinnamon is used in many sweet preparations (maple flavor can often do the same). Although I generally like a splash of acid in many dishes, I wasn't wild at all about the combination of lemon with the cinnamon in this. I think I'd reduce the amount, and opt for apple cider vinegar next time around...

Ingredients
1½ C shaved Brussels sprouts*
1½ T olive oil
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch salt

* I have a mandolin, so this is quick and easy; you could also slice them very thinly by hand, or just opt to quarter them. But the shaved or thinly sliced preparation allows for more surface to caramelize and pick up the spice, so that's definitely an advantage. Look for shaved Brussels sprouts near the bagged salads at your supermarket.

Directions
Toss shaved Brussels sprouts with olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and toss to coat evenly.
Sauté over medium heat until sprouts are crisp tender and  beginning to brown, and cinnamon is fragrant.

Add apple cider vinegar, tossing in the pan. Season with salt.



No comments: