Sunday, June 21, 2015

Ginger 'Beer' (non-alcoholic)

I love ginger. Ginger ale is good, but I've found Cock & Bull ginger beer served at a few local restaurants and I think it's far better. It isn't really beer - it's non-alcoholic for one thing - but has much more intense ginger flavor than any ginger ale soda pop. I found this recipe in a magazine (maybe Cooking Light?) with hopes of finding something roughly equivalent to the Cock & Bull drink I like. I have found that available at a couple local grocery/beverage retailers, but not everywhere. This recipe is not quite the same, but very good - especially if I mix it extra strong!

Ingredients
4 oz ginger, peeled and chopped
2 C water
1 C raw sugar
generous pinch salt

lemon juice
soda water

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes. Cool. Strain ginger syrup through a fine sieve.

To serve: Combine 2 oz ginger syrup, 1 T fresh lemon juice, and 8 oz chilled soda water.




Pictured: mixed to serve on left, pure ginger syrup on right.

No comments: