Friday, April 24, 2020

Orange Chicken with Broccoli & Peanuts

I love that this recipe (inspired largely by a Rachel Ray dish) uses peanuts. I'd throw in some extra veggies too if I had them on hand (onions, carrots...). My biggest change from the original is in the amount of sriracha. Rachel's original had so much sriracha, in addition to the chili peppers, that when I first made it I couldn't TASTE the orange because all I could FEEL was the heat. I've learned to like more heat than I used to, and you can add more to suit your taste, but her original recipe had so much that it overpowered the orange flavor. And it is ORANGE chicken after all.

Ingredients (for 2)
1/3 C orange juice
3 T beef stock
2 T brown sugar
2 T rice vinegar
2 t sriracha
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ T fresh minced ginger
2 T orange marmalade
¾ lb chicken, cut to bite size chunks
1 egg white
1 T cornstarch
1-2 cups broccoli, cut to bite size chunks
4 scallions, thinkly sliced on an angle - separate whites & light green parts
1 Thai chili pepper/red finger chile/jalapeno; thinly sliced or diced
1 C peanuts
oil - neutral flavored, or peanut or sesame for extra flavor

Directions
Combine the first 8 ingredients (orange juice through marmalade) in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer; continue simmering until sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Reduce heat to just keep warm.

Whisk cornstarch into egg white; add chicken chunks and stir to coat. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick fry pan. Add chicken, cooking until golden and crisp. Remove chicken from pan (cover to keep warm).

Add a little more oil to the pan if needed; stir fry broccoli, chili and scallion whites until broccoli is crisp-tender. Add chicken and sauce, stirring to coat everything and re-heat the chicken as needed. Add peanuts.

Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with sliced scallion greens (and sesame seeds, if desired).

And, yes, I forgot the sliced scallion greens until after I'd taken the photo and eaten a bit or two...it didn't look as nice after a few bites, so not worth another photo!



No comments: