Sunday, September 10, 2023

Vadouvan Chicken Salad (Sandwich)

Vadouvan is a French spice mix similar to curry. Vadouvan is a bit milder and since I'm a wimp when it comes to hot spice I tend to prefer vadouvan. You could substitute curry in this recipe and be just fine; either spice is not overpowering with everything else in the mix. I like this in a sandwich, but it'd be fine on a bed of greens as a salad on its own.

Ingredients
1½ lb chicken breast, cooked, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored, diced
3 green onions, chopped
½ C peanuts* chopped
½ C dried cranberries (or golden raisins)
2/3 C grapes (green or red), quartered
¾ C mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip, etc.)
1 tsp vadouvan
¾ tsp salt

* I use peanuts because I have a tree nut allergy. Cashews or pecans would be more common here.

Directions
Season teh chicken breast with salt & pepper, cook, cool and dice. While it's cooling, do all the other dicing, chopping and quartering. TIP: Next time I make mine, I'll dice things smaller; I imagined if would be nice to bite into good chunks, but they just kept falling out of my sandwich! 

In a medium bowl, tossed chicken, apple, onion, peanuts, cranberries and grapes. 

In a small bowl, stir vadouvan and salt into mayonnaise; then, fold into chicken mixture. Season with extra salt if needed.  ...or more vadouvan if the flavor is milder than you'd like.

P.S. This picture isn't an original of mine. I'll try to remember to TAKE one next time I mix up a batch of this!

No comments: