Thursday, June 27, 2019

Plum-Nectarine Crumble

The original recipe (from Food Network, here) called for hazelnuts in the crumble topping, and no oats. I like the heartiness of oats in a crumble or crisp topping, so I adjusted the recipe a tiny bit and added some to my topping. And since tree nuts and I are not on friendly terms, I always make substitutions depending on the recipe and what I have on hand...peanuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, etc. I used chopped honey-rosted peanuts with this recipe.

Fruit Filling Ingredients
2 lb nectarines (about 5)
1 lb plums (about 4)
¾ C sugar
2 T flour
1 T lemon juice
¾ t salt

Crumble Topping Ingredients
½ C flour
½ C whole wheat flour
¾ C packed brown sugar
1 C oats
1 t cinnamon
¾ t salt
¾ C roughly chopped nuts
¾ C very soft butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly coat 9x13" baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray (or equivalent sized baking dishes -- I use 3 smaller sized baking dishes to make separate servings so I could enjoy some NOW and freeze some for later).

Thinly slice plums & nectarines (½" slices). In a large bowl, combine sliced fruits with remaining filling ingredients and toss gently to coat evenly. Spread filling -- with all the juice! -- in baking dish(es).

In a medium bowl, combine all topping ingredients except butter, stirring until evenly mixed. Add butter, working it in with your fingers, until the topping begins to clump and is crumbly. Distribute evenly over top of fruit filling.

Bake until the topping begins to brown and filling is bubbley (40-50 minutes).

I plan to serve this with what's left of the honey ice cream I made a couple days ago. But vanilla ice cream or whipped cream would be fine too. Or caramel ice cream...


No comments: