Sunday, December 8, 2019

Apple Fries

Apparently, you can get Apple Fries at Legoland amusement park in Carlsbad, CA. This recipe was part of a collection in Food Network Magazine this past summer with recipes of amusement park favorites. 

Even with Granny Smith apples, these were a little too sweet (which is NOT usually a problem for me). Maybe not entirely too sweet, just...kind of one-note sweetness. I added a sprinkle of salt and it balanced the flavors to my liking. I'd add salt in with the cinnamon sugar next time around. I also had some cream whipped already (beyond soft peaks, as you can tell in my photo, but I wanted to use what I had rather than whipping up more); tasted fine, though a little tougher to dip in than the softer, creamier version would be.

I'd also like to play around with a SINGLE frying, instead of the twice-fried process in this recipe. (Fry first, bake second?) Mine were nicely crispy on the outside -- other than one batch where the temperature dropped in the first frying, which already starts at only 300°...definitley lower than I would typically deep fry anything. I even made sure the apples sat and came to room temp before I made these. The cornstarch should help create a seal even in the lower temp oil -- seal in the apple juices and seal OUT the oil -- but that batch of fries was greasier than the rest. I'd bump up the temp for that first frying!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/apple-fries-6607082


No comments: