Sunday, June 16, 2013

"Zit Bars"

I don't know how it's gone this long and this recipe hasn't made its way onto my blog. I used to make these a LOT when I was working with the high school group at the church where I grew up. Never had any leftovers! I don't know what the real/original name is...I've only ever really known them referred to as "zit bars" which sounds pretty disgusting...but they're gooey, fudgey deliciousness with enough oatmeal crust to hold it all together.

(It's not the best photo, they're still in the pan! But I don't want to cut into them yet...I'm taking them to school tomorrow: Happy end of the school year!!)

Ingredients, oatmeal cookie base:
1 C butter
2 C brown sugar
2 eggs 
½ tsp vanilla
3 C oats
2½ C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Ingredients, fudge layer:
12 oz chocolate chips
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbls butter 
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚.

To make cookie base...
Cream together butter and brown sugar; beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Stir in oats. Add flour, soda and salt all at once, stirring until well combined. Spread about  two-thirds of this mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 pan (or, for thinner cookies, spread evenly over a jelly roll baking sheet).

To make fudge layer...
Combine the chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir continually until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are smoothly combined. Stir in vanilla.

Pour fudge sauce -- and spread as needed -- over oatmeal cookie base. Dot with bits of remaining oatmeal mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes. (20-25 minutes for the thinner bars.)

Serve with lots of cold milk! :)

No comments: