Sunday, January 10, 2021

Citrus "Walnut" Salad ... knock off!


 A few years ago (November 2018) Food Network Magazine published a recipe for "Citrus-Walnut Salad" that looked and sounded delicious. I ripped it out of the magazine to try. 

Then it sat around for a couple years. 

Whenever I'd think about making it...
the time to supreme the citrus (which I've done for other recipes), 
toast the walnuts (yes, I've toasted and candied a variety of nuts before), 
and then realize that I didn't have endive or maybe the radicchio... 

As delicious as it would be, I've never yet taken that much time for 'just' a salad. 


So, here's my knock-off version that takes it from gourmet to every day (and still super tastey!!)


1) I used a store bought bag (gasp! yes!) of spring mix salad greens.
2) I didn't supreme my own tangerines and blood oranges, but opened up a can of mandarins.
3) I didn't roast or candy my own walnuts (I'm allergic anyway), but substituted some honey roasted peanuts.
4) I did make my own dressing, very similar to FN's.

Dressing Ingredients
1-2 T orange juice
   (Yup...drained from the canned mandarins!)
1 T rice wine vinegar or mirin
   (Mirin is sweetend rice wine vinegar; if the orange juice is really sweet, opt for the rice wine vinegar.)
1 T grainy Dijon mustard
pinch crushed pink peppercorns
pinch salt
2 T olive oil
   (I had blood orange infused olive oil...worked great to intensify the orange flavor, but that wouldn't be necessary.)

Directions
Combine everything except the olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk vigorously while slowly pouring in the olive oil to emulsify. Season with additional salt & pepper as desired.


No comments: