Sunday, January 17, 2021

Mustard-Glazed Chicken with Roasted Root Vegetables


Cooking Light published 
this recipe (back in March of 2015). I've used the basic idea for inspiration before, and did again just recently. BOTH times, I've completely forgotten to take a photo. (The one at right was published with the original recipe in Cooking Light; I'll TRY to remember and take one of my own next time I make something along these lines!)

I've no complaints about the original recipe as it is except...  It's one of their "cook once, eat three times" features and starts off with 3 pounds of butternut squash and then adds carrots, parsnips, onions and sweet potatoes on top of that. As a single person, I'd be eating for not three meals, but three months!!

But...
I diced (large dice) ONE sweet potato, ONE small onion, and ONE parsnip; toss them in a tablespoon or two of olive oil with some salt & pepper (I used cayenne, not black pepper) and a generous sprinkling of minced rosemary. Spread on a baking sheet, they went into a hot (425° F) oven for about 40 minutes, turning them once half way through.

While they were roasting, I seasoned two chicken thighs with salt & pepper (cayenne again for me), and sautéed them over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through (4-5 minutes per side). Remove them aside -- onto a plate -- and cover them with foil to keep them warm. Add about a ¼ cup chicken stock and a splash of white wine (or just more stock) and deglaze the pan. Then add a teaspoon or two of whole-grain mustard, a teaspoon of honey, and simmer to reduce and thicken it just a bit.

Pour this over the roasted, diced vegetables and the chicken. Season with additional salt & pepper if needed.

With these amounts, I had two generous meals (not weeks or months worth).

No comments: