Monday, July 3, 2017

Hummus

I don't feel obligated to make hummus from scratch every time I care to enjoy some. But it's not difficult -- especially using a mini blender (Magic Bullet, Nutribullet, etc.) if you have one -- and it's nice to be able to adjust the seasonings to your own taste, or add extra flavorings...roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato, garlic and herb...  Using the recipe below as a base, I added a little extra lemon juice and salt to mine, then kept half of it as is and blended half a jar of sun dried tomatoes I needed to use up with the other half. Both tasted great! (The hummus pictured has the sun-dried tomatoes blended in., so it's a bit redder.)

Ingredients
¼ C vegetable broth
1 14 oz can of chickpeas, drained*
2 cloves garlic
2 T lemon juice
3 T tahini*
½ t salt

* The brand of chickpeas I used was 15 ounces. I didn't have ready made tahini (sesame seed paste) but I had sesame seeds; I just put my Magic Bullet blender to use with 3 generous tablespoons of sesame seeds and the vegetable broth before adding the other ingredients. 

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.

If desired, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

No comments: