Friday, December 31, 2010

Baked Berry Brie

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
2/3 C berry preserves
8 oz round brie wheel
¼ C chopped hazelnuts or pecans
1 egg
1 Tbls water

Thaw puff pastry; unfold on a lightly floured surface and roll gently to seal any cracks. Spoon preserves onto center; place cheese on top of preserves. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. (I'm allergic, so I skip this step...but I'll leave it in the recipe for the rest of you.) Fold pastry to cover cheese; trim excess pastry and press to seal seams.

Whisk egg and water in a small bowl. Brush pastry seams with egg mixture. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. (I line mine with parchment, some cheese and berry juice always seems to seep out no matter how well I seal the seams; the parchment saves me from needing to scrub my cookie sheets.) If desired, cut pastry scraps into decorative shapes and arrange on top. Brush with egg mixture.

Bake 25 minutes (or until golden brown) at 400°. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting. Serve with crackers and/or sliced fruit (apple and pear are delicious).

No comments: