Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gingerbread

These photos are from past years; I'm not sure if I'll make one this year. They're scanned, and the color isn't great, but here are a couple of my gingerbread house creations. ...and a shot of my nephew Tate and I enthusiastically preparing to devour one. :)

1/3 C shortening
1 C brown sugar
1½ C dark molasses
6 C flour*
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp each: allspice, ginger, cloves, cinnamon







Mix shortening, brown sugar, molasses and 2/3 C cold water until thoroughly combined. Combine flour, soda, salt and spices; stir into molasses mixture until well combined. Chill dough 1 hour. Roll and cut into desired shapes. Bake 15 minutes at 350°.

* For gingerbread houses (or gingerbread men), add another cup of flour. The firmer cookies are easier to build with. :)




No comments: