Friday, July 10, 2020

Potato-Cheddar-Bacon Tart

Saw this in Food & Wine last month. Since it's wrapped in bacon, it looks like a LOT of bacon. Considering it serves 8-12, it's no more than a couple slices per person. And it makes an impressive presentation! I reduced the recipe and made it in a smaller dish (8.5inches...original recipe for a 10 inch skillet), and eliminated tarragon -- I'm not a fan. I also increased the salt (after tasting the final product); you'd think with all the bacon it wouldn't need it, but it's a lot of potatoes...sprinkle the salt between layers.

My version/measured amounts below... (VERY similar to Food & Wine's).

Ingredients
1 lb bacon
1 tsp black pepper
1 T salt
1 small yellow onion, fine chopped
2 tsp fresh rosemary
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh sage
8 oz shredded cheddar (white)
1+ lb Yukon Gold potatoes
     I used 4 medium-large potatoes

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.

The photos are even better than descriptive directions. It helps to stagger the bacon strips, laying every other strip starting a couple inches away from the center so the very center doesn't get too thick. (I think I'd also trim the ends of the bacon strips if I made this again in this slightly smaller dish so there's not so much overlap on the top, center.) Salt and pepper each layer of potatoes (4 or 5 layers), then the onion-herb mixture, then cheese, then more potatoes...

Bake, covered, 1½ hours. Uncover; bake an additional 1½-2 hours.
This is a bit more than the original recipe indicates. My potatoes needed the additional time. The tricky part is draining off the drippings before serving...

No comments: