Sunday, July 19, 2020

Seared Salmon with Balsamic-Blistered Tomatoes

You know that 'trick' where if you get kids (especially picky eaters) to help with growing, picking, or preparing food themselves they'll eat things they probably wouldn't otherwise? Well, it doesn't just work for kids...

I'm a lot more willing to try different things now than when I was 10, granted; now, I make an intentional effort to try (and try to like) foods that my 10-year-old-self would have put tremendous effort into avoiding. Tomatoes are one of them. And while I still just can't appreciate them raw, I have found some ways I really like them now... outside of canned, condensed tomato soup -- a favorite of my 10-year-old-self (and, admittedly a "comfort food" I'll still eat today, though I prefer a more 'grown-up', homemade version now).

With all the sunshine lately, my little cherry tomato plant finally has some bright red jumbo-gumball-sized fruit ready for picking, and my basil plant -- though it is trying my patience -- has sufficient leaves I can harvest enough for a small recipe without reducing it to ragged stems. Add in shallots and balsamic vinegar...sign me up!

And...I have salmon. So, this Cooking Light recipe was perfect! 

No comments: