Friday, August 14, 2020

Sesame Wafers

So...I ripped a recipe for "Sesame Wafer" cookies out of Food Network magazine back in December 2012!! Found it again just recently. (It's a slow summer. That's not a bad thing...very relaxing on most fronts. And I'm cleaning out in a lot of ways.) This is one I decided to TRY rather than TOSS.

My first attempt working from Food Network's exact recipe was disappointing. To me, a "wafer" should be crisp. What I got was...well, not crisp! The flavor was fine, but it was chewy and not in a good way, but kind of tough, with just a little ring of crunch around the edges. (These are the cookies at the back of the photo.) I mixed very little after adding the flour, so I don't think it was an overmixing issue. I tried baking one tray longer to see if I could achieve 'crispness', but they were just darker and a little tougher.

Anyway, I'm fiddling with the recipe, hoping for a more crisp cookie result -- leaning toward something between a wafer and a shortbread-like cookie. A little more flour and butter, eliminating the egg...second attempt are the cookies at the front of the photo. If I end up with something that really works, I'll update with my own version of the recipe -- and shoot a better photo than right on the counter top on parchment paper.

So far it's still a work in progress; but I thought I'd post it anyway. Keeping it real...not everything I make is photo- and blog-worthy the first time around. It's all a process...

No comments: