Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Tomato Jam

Oh my YUM!! It's like ketchup grew up and became a mature condiment. I've most often seen tomato jam served with cheese and crackers (Food Network did that again in its current magazine, July/August 2020). I was sampling my just-made jam on a clover roll (my photo @ right) since I baked some fresh just yesterday, but I can't wait to spread this on a burger or sandwich!

Ingredients
1 lb cherry tomatoes*
¼ C + 3 T brown sugar
¼ C + 1 T red wine vinegar
3 T fish sauce*
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 T minced jalepeno*
pinch each cumin, coriander, black pepper

* NOTES: Certainly wouldn't have to be cherry tomatoes, but that's what I have growing in my garden just now -- or, to be more accurate, in a large pot on my deck. I think almost any tomato would work - you'd just want to chop larger tomatoes before boiling. The sweetness of your tomato variety might make you want to adjust the amount of sugar; some recipes call for quite a bit more than this! If you don't have fish sauce, you can use soy sauce; it's not the same but most tomato jam recipes I've seen don't call for fish sauce. Still, it might just be why I love this stuff so much...the fish sauce, garlic and ginger all together give it a slightly Asian flavor profile. Also, feel free to add more or less jalepeno depending on how spicy you'd like it to be.

Directions
Combine everything in a large pot (or skillet) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil and continue cooking until the mixture thickens into a loose jam or thick syrup-y consistency -- it will thicken as it cools.

Store refrigerated in sealed containers. Use sterile canning jars for an airtight seal if you plan to store this for longer than 3 weeks.


No comments: