Sunday, August 9, 2020

Corn Cakes

This one's not original to me -- and there are lots of variations online. Closest to what I have here would be Food Network's Parmesan-Basil Corn Cakes.  I didn't have fresh corn on hand, which is too bad because it's still prett good, and easily available, this time of year. Here's what I used...

Ingredients
1 15-oz can of whole kernal corn
1 egg
¼ C flour
¼ C grated Gruyère (though parmesan would be just fine)
chopped basil
1½ tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
s & p to taste

Directions
Depending on how chunky you want your corn cakes and how much texture you'd like them to have, purée or pulse some or all of the corn in a mini-blender. Stir everything together (yes, it's that simple).

Cook heaping spoonfuls (I used a cookie scoop and made about 2" cakes) in a hot skillet with a little oil until golden brown on each side.

I topped mine with romesco sauce; a little sour cream with chives would also be delicious. And they're plenty good on their own or with just a little butter.

No comments: