Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chicken Cutlets with Tarragon-Mushroom Sauce

Tarragon is not usually my favorite (too much like anise, and I'm not a licorice fan). But for variety, this was worth a try -- and better than I expected.

Ingredients:
2 C chicken stock 
½ carrot, cut into 1" pieces 
½ celery stalk, cut into 1" pieces 
¼ onion, halved
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 (6 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 Tbls flour
2 Tbls olive oil
2 tsp butter
1 C mushrooms, quartered
½ C pearl onions
1 Tbls cornstarch
1 Tbls chopped fresh tarragon

Directions:
Combine chicken stock, carrot, celery, ¼ onion (not pearls), bay leaf, and garlic clove in a saucepan. Bring to boil; cook 6 minutes, until reduced to 1¼ cups. Remove and discard solids.

Cut chicken breasts in half (to make 8 cutlets). Season with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Place flour in shallow dish; dredge cutlets in flour. Heat a large skilled over medium=high heat. Add 1 Tbls oil and 1 tsp butter; swirl to melt. Place 4 cutlets in the pan; cook about 2 minutes per side, until golden. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat with remaining cutlets.

Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and pearl onions, cooking until browned (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally. I didn't have pearl onions, so I just used a large sweet onion, cutting about a ½ cup in a large dice; tasted fine, though my photo doesn't look as 'fancy' as the one in the magazine with the cute little pearls! :) Add stock mixture; deglaze pan and bring to boil. Combine cornstarch with about 1 Tbls cold water; add to stock and cook 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Add chopped tarragon; season to taste with remaining salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over cutlets to serve.

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

I love reading your new posts and trying them out! I was wondering, do you think it would turn out tastefully if the mushrooms were to be removed from the recipe? I can't get myself to eat them.

Tami said...

(I thought I already commented, but I don't see it here now.) You'll be missing a flavor (and a bit of texture) component in the dish, but if it's one you don't like...that may be a good thing for your taste. You'll have a little extra sauce; if you want to fill in, you could use a soft squash (zucchini, yellow squash...) in place of the mushrooms.