Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sweet Potato Chips

The May 2013 issue of Cooking Light, available now, has a recipe for sweet potato chips (p114) done in the microwave. Aside from heating leftovers and melting things, I'm leery of most microwave cooking. The claim with these chips was that the microwave dehydrates them, cooking and crisping without burning them as might happen in a conventional oven. I tried it both ways, in the microwave and @ 425° for 12-15 minutes -- depending on how thin you can slice your potato. (Try using a vegetable peeler if you don't have the recommended mandolin and/or exceptional knife skills!) I just sliced...VERY THINLY.

My personal conclusion: Microwave = no burning, but they are a little...chewy. And my microwave took considerably longer than their recipe indicated. Conventional oven = potential of dark edges if you don't watch your chips closely, or if they're not evenly sliced; but I think they're more 'toasted'. The conventional oven still gets my vote; but the microwave was better than I expected.

No comments: