Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Quick Curried Chicken

1 ½ fl oz olive oil
1 medium onion
14 oz chicken (2 breasts)
2 cloves of garlic
1 green chili
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tomato purée
1 tsp curry paste
1 fl oz double cream

Finely chop onion and chili. (Note: I'm a weenie when it comes to spicy hot food. I sometimes skip the chili altogether - or just use a little.) Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks. Mince garlic.
Fry onion in olive oil for 1 minute. Add chicken and continue frying 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and chili; continue frying another 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add spices; stir until well mixed. Add tomato puree, curry paste; stir well. Add double cream and stir to combine all ingredients. Serve over rice or with naan. Serves 2.

I'll post my naan recipe. Naan isn't hard to find at grocery stores (or Trader Joe's), but eating it still warm, fresh baked out of the oven...delicious!

My World Literature classes at school are now into our Indian literature unit…a curry dish was a fairly easy/obvious choice – and quite traditional. Samosas would be too, and I have a good recipe, but it would take a LOT of time to make samosas for 50+ people. Curried chicken was my choice! To stretch the recipe (with the expense of a lot of meat) I made vegetable/chicken curry…with carrots, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and green beans.

No comments: