Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bacon-wrapped Balsamic Sea Scallops


Ingredients
6 very large sea scallops*
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2-inch ginger, thinly sliced
12 slices pepper bacon

Directions
Heat a slotted broiler pan in a preheated 450° F oven.

Pat scallops dry and quarter them. (*The scallops I had – pictured – were not “very large” so I did not quarter mine.) Combine vinegar, sugar, garlic and ginger and marinate the scallops 10 minutes.

Separate bacon slices, cutting them in half. Wrap each scallop piece with a strip of bacon (secure with a toothpick if necessary). Place scallops on sides (seam down). Remove garlic and ginger from vinegar marinade and drizzle over scallops; bake 10 minutes, turning once.

The original recipe -- I think this was a Rachel Ray dish, but I could be mistaken -- called for water chestnuts. I'm not that fond of them, personally. I didn't have any on hand and wasn't going to make a special trip for something I'm not wild about. However, they'd add a nice crunch/texture to the little wraps. (And if I marinated them in the balsamic mixture I'd probably like them a lot more!) :)

No comments: